Parks: Figgate Park
- Add Comment
- Report It
- With its distinctive burn running through the park, pond and animated wildlife, the Figgate Park provides an attractive green space in the heart of Edinburgh's East Neighbourhood. Its many entrances are commonly used by local walkers, joggers and cyclists as a convenient access to areas between Duddingston and Portobello. The pond, with a boardwalk and wide variety of waterfowl is the main attraction, but a children's play area, teen area and even a pictorial wildflower meadow, ensure there is lots to see and do in the park. The park has been awarded a Green Flag since 2010, in recognition of it being a quality greenspace.
- History and heritage
- The area was originally known as Figgate Muir, an expanse of moorland through which the Figgate Burn flowed from Duddingston Loch to the sea, with a broad sandy beach on the Firth of Forth. The name Figgate was thought to come from the Saxon term for "cow's ditch", and the land was used as pasture by the monks in 1763. The lands known as the Figgate Whins were sold by Lord Milton to Baron Mure for about