- The Meadows remain one of the most important open spaces in Edinburgh and one of the most popular. There's something for everyone with the biggest play area in the city, large grassed areas, tennis courts, cafe and toilets.
- History and heritage
- The park was once the site of the wind-swept Borough-Loch, which was part of the historic old Borough Muir, and one of the main water supplies for Edinburgh's old town. In 1722 the Loch was leased to Thomas Hope, who completed drainage, created a walkway, lined with hedges and trees. When Melville Drive was opened in 1859 as part of the South Side development, it brought a further wave of popularity for walks, picnics or play. As the City grew, the Edinburgh Improvement Act of 1827 stated that 'it should not be competent for the Lord Provost, Magistrates and Council, or any other person, without the sanction of Parliament obtained for the express purpose, at any time thereafter to erect buildings of any kind upon any part of the grounds called the Meadows or Bruntsfield Links so far as the same belongs in property to the Lord Provost, Magistrates and Council.'
In 1886, the International Exhibition of Industry, Science and Art was held in the Meadows, giving the site world-wide recognition.
- Large flocks of starlings (Sturnus vulgaris) can be seen on the golf course links in the summer – with parents feeding their large brown chicks. In the winter, flocks of redwings descend on the Links and Meadows. These resemble thrushes but have a red breast and are surprisingly confident.
- Public Toilets
- Hope Park CrescentOpening times: 10am-6pm. Disabled access. All toilets for the disabled require a RADAR key for access.Middle Meadow WalkOpening times: 10am-6pm.Baby changing facilities available.No disabled access.
- Visitor information
- Lothian Buses: 24, 41, 42, 67
- Play areas (including the Magnet play area)TennisCricketCafeToiletsPicnic tablesCroquetDesignated barbeque areasOutdoor gym equipmentSeatingWheelchair access
- Get Involved
The jawbone arch at the start of the pathway across the Meadows is formed by four whale jawbones placed vertically on a rough square and meeting at the top. The bones were...
Two commemorative pillars at the West End of Melville Drive, erected in 1886 in connection with the International Exhibition opened in 6th May of that year by Prince Albert...
A pair of eight sided gatepiers each topped by a unicorn are found at the entrance to the Meadows on Middle Meadow Walk. On the right unicorn's ribbon it reads "Nisi Dominus...
The pillar at the East of The Meadows was erected in 1881 By T. Nelson and Sons in 'commemoration of the kindness and sympathy shown to them by the magistrates at the time of...
This marble memorial fountain is inscribed "Helen Acquroff Sister Cathedral 1889". On a raised band around the centre of the column it says, "Erected by members of the I.O.C.T...
The sundial was erected in commemoration of the opening of the International Exhibition by Prince Albert victor of Wales on 8th May 1886. Shields on the sundial are carved with...