Starbank Park

Title Starbank Park
Address Starbank Road
Postcode EH5 3BX
Telephone 0131 529 5050
Email northwest.locality@edinburgh.gov.uk
Facilities GardensFloral displaysSeatingViewsRamp access at rose gardenRecently refurbished bothy and toilets (available for events only), children's library and Hans Christian Anderson themed story/nature trail.
Background Starbank Park commands dramatic panoramas over the Firth of Forth to Fife. A great place top watch the passing ships and brightly coloured yachts. Within the park there are annual beds; one shaped in as a eight-pointed star and two crescents. These depict the 'Star of the Sea' believed to be symbolic of a ship's compass and harking back to the days when Forth sailors navigated the oceans by the stars. At the back of Starbank House the level part of the park is laid out formally with rose beds.
History and heritage Originally, Starbank House an dits gardens were the home of the Rev. Walter M. Goalen, founder and rector of little Christ Church in Trinity Road, now a private dwelling. In 1889, on the death of the Rev. Goalen, the old Leith Town Council bought the classical, two-storied Starbank House and its grounds, which at that time boasted a fine rose garden and tennis court. They were later linked with the gardens of Laverockbank House and renamed Starbank Public Park.
Visitor information Lothian bus routes 11 and 16.
Organise an event Find out how to organise an event
Getting involved Friends of Starbank Park
Green flag Yes
Management plan Management plan
Location map 55.979609210714784,-3.2012271881103516
Monuments Sundial