Drum Park

Title Drum Park
Address Drum Avenue
Postcode EH17 7EQ
Telephone 0131 529 5151
Email southeast.locality@edinburgh.gov.uk
Facilities Play area, Seating, Signage, Football pitch
Background Drum Park is primarily used as a sports venue by Fernieside Football Club. The park also has a popular play area with a variety of different types of play equipment, seating and picnic table. 20,000 natural daffodil bulbs have been planted at the Drum Street end of the park which will give a welcome splash of colour in the spring months. Several trees have been planted at the Drum Avenue end of the park which provide lovely leaf colour in the autumn months.
History and heritage Originally part of the Drum estate, being named after the ancient royal hunting forest of Drumselch, which once covered the land from The Drum to Holyrood. Maps from the 1800’s indicate that there was an ‘old quarry’ near Drum Street end of the park.
Geology The entire area suffers from subsidence problems arising from large-scale underground workings. Coal was mined immediately to the south from the 17th century until the Gilmerton Pit closed in 1961. In addition, there was widespread limestone quarrying in the 19th century.
Visitor information On bus routes 3, 7, 29 & 33
Organise an event Find out how to organise an event
Getting involved Friends of Parks
Location map 55.906163138426976,-3.130674362182617
Outdoor gyms Seated rower, chest press, cross trainer and recumbent bike.
Image Sports pitch in Drum Park